Tides is all about waves that go up and down, from minute-long cycles to audio rates… This module is Mutable Instruments’ unique take on the looping AD envelope generator – pushing this well-known trope to unknown territories.
The core of the module is a digital asymmetric triangle function generator, which can be used in AD and AR modes (for envelope generation), or looping (as a VC-LFO or VC-DO).
The triangle generator is followed by a wavetable waveshaper providing linear, exponential, logarithmic, sinusoidal, or arc-sinusoidal shapes for the A and D segments. Then, a second processor applies either a 2-pole low-pass filter to the waveform, smoothing its sharp edges; or a rubbery wavefolder, adding kinks and bounces to the waveform.
Digital function generator
- 3 operating mode: AD envelope, looping (VC-LFO/VCDO), AR envelope.
- 3 frequency ranges for the main frequency knob: low (2 minutes to 2 Hz), medium (0.125 Hz to 32 Hz), high (8 Hz to 2kHz). This range can be widened by
- applying an offset on the V/OCT input.
A large palette of waveforms
- Smoothness control with CV input: smoothes the waveform using a 2-pole digital filter, or adds bumps and kinks with a digital wavefolder.
- External clocking/PLL
4 output modes
- Different shapes. Each output produces a different waveshape: main signal (with voltage-controlled attenuverter), raw asymmetric triangle, end of attack gate, end of release gate.
- Different amplitudes: Voltage-controlled dispatching of the signal to each of the 4 outputs.
- Different times: Voltage-controlled phase or apex shifting of the signal.
- Different frequencies: Outputs 2, 3, and 4 are shifted up or down in frequency relatively to output 1, creating chords or polyrhythmic LFOs.
Width: 14 hp
Depth: 25 mm
Power: +12V:50mA -12V:20mA